Rodent Control – Sydney and Parramatta
It’s come to the colder time of year once again. Just as we start getting used to putting on the air conditioner, it’s almost time to start switching on the heater. It’s also time to worry about rodent control.
It’s a good thing that many of our homes are well insulated. Our roof cavities are full of insulation, our walls are also well insulated. This is what makes our homes cool in summer and warm in winter.
Unfortunately there are some unwelcome guests that will visit our homes over the next few months for a quick feed or maybe a drink whom may never leave.
Just like humans, rodents such as the Roof Rat, Norway Rat and House Mouse are mammals. They hate the cold weather just as much as we do and it’s this time of year that the Pest Industry refers to as ‘Rodent Season’
Rodents want to continue breeding in the colder months, so to do that effectively they need to be where it’s nice and warm.
That nice warm place is usually your home. Not only is your home warm but it also has two extremely important means of survival. Food and Water.
All suburban and city areas of Sydney have rats and mice.
Wherever there is human habitation and access to water – there will be rats and mice. Humans are essential to the survival of rats and mice. Our rotting rubbish is their delicacy. So don’t think your place is not susceptible to an invasion of these small mammals this winter. Rodents are targeting all homes this season.
What you can do about rodent control
There are some things that you can do around the home to reduce the likelihood of rodent infestations at your place, and it’s a great idea to do them now!
- Check your garbage bins to ensure they seal properly closed and never overflow them. In our line of work the one contributing factor in 78% of all infestations. Poor garbage storage or broken garbage bins are often the beginnings of some of the worst rodent problems we’ve seen. Give rodents, especially rats the respect they deserve and don’t underestimate for a second the importance of keeping your waste secured.
- Keep all food inside your home in good sealed containers. Bearing in mind that rats can chew through timbers and other dense materials, plastic might not cut it in the event of an infestation. Glass containers are great. Whatever containers you store food in, keep them well sealed.
- If you have pets, ensure that their food is well sealed in glass or metal containers. Only put out what your pet will eat. Rats and Mice love dog cat food, bird seed etc.
- Look at your externals of your home. If you have tree branches or similar touching or overhanging your home, get them cut away. These will provide rats with a literal bridge onto your home. Other shrubs and the like against your home need to be kept trimmed.
- Dense foliage around your home provides good hiding/nesting and a virtual spring board to the next stage, living in your home. Keep your gardens free of unnecessary debris.
- Organic waste is another major attractant and great food source for rodents. If you have organic waste – it should be well sealed in metal.
- Try to stop them getting in by proofing your home. If you can see areas where rats might get in, try to seal. Where plumbing enters the building, install flanges. It’s always a good idea to install a quality rodent proof gutter guard. Look at the gaps under your entry doors, install a seal at the bottom to stop rodent entry.
We’ve currently been doing a lot of rodent control right around Sydney, from the South West to the North West and into the City. There are a lot of rodents around at the moment and it looks like it’s going to be a busy rodent season for Amalgamated Pest Control this year.
How Amalgamated Pest Control Sydney can help
Sometimes, the above tips are just not enough and that’s where Amalgamated Pest Control Sydney can help.
Concerned about rodents or other pests?
If you have or suspect you have a problem with Rodents, give us a call.
All of our pest treatments come with our Guaranteed Gone Service Warranty, if the pests come back, so will we.
Call Amalgamated Pest Control Sydney today. 1300 536 435